Friday, July 15, 2005

Blogorama: Niches

[Another in the continuing series of blogs I would add to my blog list if I knew how to make one.]

Another nice thing about the blog world is that you can find some pretty neat sources of information on topics that may interest you, but that many of your friends couldn't care less about. I'm sure that with a little work I could find a blog about the latest trends in Charles Williams scholarship or one about key collecting. Today's two blogs occupy their own little niche, but both are well worth the visit even if their subject matters are not such as usually grab your attention.

Sallyh has constructed a nice little home for progressive recipes at La Poissoniere. The recipes are donated by her fans and devotees, and are usually presented with heavy dollops of snarkitude:

The idea that we could have the Republicans roasted on a spit would be tantalizing, although I don't think they'd taste very good. So here's the place to put things that do taste good!

Sallyh has promised to put the collection of donated recipes into a book which will be available at the Labor Day gathering of Eschatonians. (For more about that gathering, go visit this blog.) The comments sections of each post contain the recipes and some wonderfully wicked sidelights. While man cannot live by bread alone, this blog is one heckuva good place to start.

There's nothing better for post-prandial pleasure than music, and NY Mary serves that up with Power Pop, which she describes as

An idiosyncratic blog dedicated to the precursors, the practioners, and the descendants of power pop.

My tastes in music are pretty eclectic, but I really stopped paying serious attention to current trends in popular music about ten years ago. Well, after reading NY Mary on a regular basis, I've managed to find some new music that is incredibly satisfying, primarily because her blog appeals to just about anyone (whether undereducated or very sophisticated). It helps that her readers have a welcoming forum to post on their own finds:

Once in a while, they find me, but more often readers just hip me to stuff they've heard which they think might be my kind of thing. That's not always the case, but it is often enough for me to have discovered some really wonderful stuff under the radar.

Both sites deserve regular look-sees. Go, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home