Thursday, August 25, 2005

WTF? Anybody at Fox Ever Hear Of...

...fact checking?

I've been sadly negligent in my review of blogs I think worth visiting regularly, you know, that series I do because I can't figure out how to do a blog roll. Well, consider this part of that on-going series, but also consider the implications of the information itself.

Elaine Supkis, an Eschaton regular, has her own blog, which is actually a series of blogs, all well-integrated. Tonight, thanks to her suggestion, I checked out a recent post on this brilliant blog.

Time for the mass media to yell about blogger ethics! Remember, they accuse us of using Google to learn stuff and then we talk about them! That is a no no. But they can talk about us and they don't use Google, it seems. In this case, Fox was, as usual, totally irresponsible and of course, enough holes in their story you could sieve spagetti in it!

Elaine then proceeds to give us the skinny, via Yahoo:

LA HABRA, Calif. - A couple whose home was wrongly identified on national television as belonging to an Islamic radical has faced harassment, and police are providing special protection.

After the report ran on Fox News on Aug. 7, people have shouted profanities at Randy and Ronnell Vorick and spray-painted terrorist" (spelling it "terrist") on their property.

"I'm scared to go to work and leave my kids home. I call them every 30 minutes to make sure they're OK," Randy Vorick said.

John Loftus, a former federal prosecutor who appears on the Fox News segment "Inside Scoop with John Loftus," gave out the house address during the broadcast.

He said the home belonged to Iyad Hilal, whose group, Loftus said, has ties to those responsible for the July 7 bombings in London. But Hilal moved out of the house about three years ago.
[Emphasis added]

Clearly, Fox News got it wrong, really wrong. This is not the kind of situation in which a correction buried on page 34 is going to take care of things. The Voricks are targets because some idiot couldn't take the time to see if the fricking address he was so pleased to present to the public still represented property owned and occupied by an alleged terrorist.

Elaine has suggested a law suit is in order, and I'm sure she's right. The problem is that there will have to be someone alive to make the claim. Given the violent response so far, that is not assured.

Has the press in this country sunk so low that this is considered acceptable behavior?

That is a question I'm not so sure I want an answer to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elmo said...

Has the press in this country sunk so low that this is considered acceptable behavior?

I'm glad you dont want the question answerd, because my thoughts on the subject are better off buried.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home