Saturday, January 20, 2007

Bonus Critter Blogging: My Brown Thrasher



A favorite resident of my windbreak, the brown thrasher is a bird that has been declining throughout the country and I am happy to have created a fan out of a neighbor. The neighbor, with a manicured and landscaped yard, chided me a few times for letting the underbrush grow in the creek area and windbreak in my yard. Now she's become a birder, and is proud to have the brown thrasher among her trophy sightings.

from the Cornell bird site:

" Conservation Status

Populations declining slowly throughout range, perhaps because of the maturation of shrublands in the East and the elimination of fencerows and shelter belts in the Great Plains.


Since we got into an extensive discussion of birds the other a.m. at Eschaton, I thought you all might like to see what this particularly cherished backyard resident looks like. I usually see them in the crepe myrtle, but couldn't find a picture of that flora to exhibit him in.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth, what a gorgeous little bird!!
My next door neighbor is a real sweetheart. He long ago accepted the fact that my yard resembles a "forest floor". :-)

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bo likes him some thrashers. California ones have a brown or russet breast, I think.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pic of a nice bird.

People just don't understand how destructive "perfection" is for habitat.

Sorry I missed the birdwatching discussion at Eschaton-- not that I could have added much...

nick carraway

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home