Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Today Is My Birthday!

So everyone will know, this is the date I was born, in 1944. That makes me a genuine antique, I believe.

As I usually do, I looked back over the year and saw a few really good things that have happened, and as you who have read this post for awhile know, one of them is the American public giving the majority of its votes to the Democrats. While a lot of criticism is being sent to that Democratic majority, much of what it has done is good, and it is really reassuring to me that the voters have turned toward public interest representation. We need to build on this and return control of the executive branch to Democrats so they can start the hard job of rebuilding justice, and representing the public.

Another really good sign of spreading decency is the Dallas Morning News' changing its 100-year-old stance, and opposing the death penalty. Now I see that the European Union has also called for the State of Texas to end it barbaric practice of executions.

The EU expressed "great regret" at the impending sentence (an execution scheduled for today) and renewed its call to the US to halt judicial killings.

The punishment was "cruel and inhumane", said the EU.

The statement from the Portuguese presidency of the 27-nation bloc said: "The European Union strongly urges Governor Rick Perry to exercise all powers vested in his office to halt all upcoming executions and to consider the introduction of a moratorium in the State of Texas."

It continued: "There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime and the irreversibility of the punishment means that miscarriages of justice, which are inevitable in all legal systems, cannot be redressed."


It is always encouraging to see the human race improve a bit. I like to think I help it along a little. It would be very good to think that something improved because of my, and our, efforts to make the world a better place. Celebrate with me, please.

As some of you know. my ex is now in critical condition, which means my kids are going through things you don't want to happen. (Blood clot, [can't give anticoagulants because of recent operation] pneumonia, brain tumor.) If you haven't had a checkup, please do. For everyone's sake.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Even in the midst of all this turmoil, dear blogmate, have a wonderful, joyous birthday!

9:47 AM  
Blogger skaterina said...

goodness me you are a ways away from being a genuine antique / i was born in 1933 / still young at heart / happy birthday

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home