Sunday, November 25, 2007

There Is No Excuse For Buying Abusive Practices

Getcher hot holiday Crucifixes ritchere/So What if it says Made in China in sweatshops.

I have to tell you right up front that not only did I marry a Catholic and not convert, and tho he would not take them to catechism, unless I converted and did that, I did not ever do anything about bringing the kids up catholic except get them baptised and take them to mass sometimes with his family and leave the minute they started acting up.

So I'm not sympathetic to begin with. But this isn't funny, folks, it's serious.

Crucifixes signify that a person is Christian. They adorn the neck of the religious. Some of those crosses though come from the sweat of Chinese slaving away in factories. Those crosses have more than the blood of Jesus on them.
“Jesus, take pity on me! I’m going to die of exhaustion.”

According to a press release from the National Labor Committee, crucifixes are being made under "horrific sweatshop conditions" In China.

Factory workers at the Junxingye factory in China are forced to work seven days a week for 14 hours a day to manufacture crosses that will be shipped to the United States.

Before shipments leave for the US, labourers are often forced to work shifts lasting up to 25 hours. Workers routinely work more than 100 hours a week, 51 of those hours are overtime. The legal limit of China's work hour rules are exceeded by 514 per cent. The majority of the workers at this factory are young women (some as young as 15) who can go months before they see a day off.

Workers who make the cross necklaces are paid a measly 26.5 cents an hour, less than half of the legal minimum wage. Workers are paid $10.61 a week but deductions take large portions to pay for their company dorm room and food. When the final tally is made, workers see about $3.70 a week. Those working a 91-hour week get a bit more at $30.61. That's only 43 per cent of the $70.71 they legally should be getting.


Dear sweet little ladies gave my kids crucifixes when they were little, and I know they would never have condoned this kind of abuse. Please, take care what you buy.

As I said earlier you can buy American in a lot of ways, and if you aren't familiar with Rio Concho pearls, you should take the time and make the effort. If you want something to prey over ... bad joke. But crucifixes of all things, don't encourage abuse. Please.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madonna used to be big on crucifixes, was she not?

8:34 AM  
Blogger shrimplate said...

I have a couple rusty old iron Celtic crosses decoratong our patio walls. But no bloody bodies hanging from them. I wouldn't have that.

Every day I look around my house to count the number of things in it made in this country. It's scant precious little, and I try to be careful about these things. It's just that we hardly make anything anymore.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see no irony here.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home