Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Now THIS Is What I Call Good News

An emailed "breaking news" report from the Sacramento Bee was waiting for me in my email box when I got home, and this is one time I was glad to see it. It appears that California will break the right kind of record by Friday.

The deadline for reporting pre-election registration is Friday, but preliminary counts already exceed 17 million - higher than the state's previous best of 16.6 million, Nicole Winger, spokeswoman for the secretary of state, said Tuesday.

The soaring rolls are good news for Democrats, who held a lead of nearly 12 percentage points over Republicans in statewide voter registration through Sept. 5, the most recent figures available.

Democrats totaled 43.9 percent of all voters, compared to 32.3 percent for Republicans, the latter representing the lowest GOP percentage in any of the last four presidential elections, the September statistics show.
[Emphasis added]

OK, I'll cop to being thrilled at the successful registration of Democrats over Republicans, and I'll also be admit to being a bit puzzled by the growing number of "independents," who are actually more of the "decline to state" than the true independent stripe. Still, the next statistic really knocked my socks off.

Secretary of State Debra Bowen estimates that 69.8 percent of eligible adults had registered to vote through Sept. 5. ...

That is staggering, given the statistics for the last 16 years at least (my memory ain't so good any further back). More than two-thirds of California citizens who are eligible to vote are registered. Amazing.

I suspect that part of the reason for the increased registration in California is the presidential election choices involved, and another the incredible on-the-ground Obama organization. A third part certainly has to be that scalding-hot issue of Proposition 8 put forward by the Religious Reich and their cohorts to stop the recognition of those rights enjoyed by heterosexuals for forever to homosexuals.

But, I'll tell you what: I think something else is afoot.

I think Americans, all Americans, have finally been roused from their passivity because the disastrous programs of the last 20 years have finally come to fruition. Jobs aren't secure. Being able to afford home heating, rent/mortgage payments, and food is no longer a given, whether one is employed at one or even two jobs. Kids aren't being adequately educated. Families can't afford even basic health care, and when injuries or illnesses hit, there no longer is a safety net.

This may finally be the election when Americans get off their backsides and let the politicos know just how pissed they are at the fact that only the top 3% are doing well, and the rest of us are scuffling just to survive.

A revolution? Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly is an encouraging start. And I daresay that a whole lot of that 3% are feeling really nervous right now.

To which I say, "Good."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home