Friday, January 31, 2014

The Cuckoo's Nest

 
(Photo by Mike Lane and found here.)

As many of you know, I am currently living in an assisted-living facility I affectionately call "The Cuckoo's Nest."  It's not that everyone is crazy here, but a lot of us do have some, well, mild cognitive impairment.  I chalk it up in most cases to having a full hard disk.  Many people, however, still have enough on the ball to be really interesting to talk to.  For example, one of my table-mates at meals was a clinical psychologist until he had a stroke, requiring the use of a walker and assistance in tasks requiring manual dexterity (he has a tremor in both hands).  He's also a liberal politically and has long, long white hair and beard.  We have great conversations at that table.

Another gentleman worked for many years for the railroad.  After his retirement, he also had a stroke and has difficulty speaking, although if one is patient, one quickly discovers a wry sense of humor.  Nowhere is that sense of humor more evident than in the tee shirts he wears.  I swear that the man has THE most extensive collection of tee shirts in the world.  Every morning when he comes into breakfast the whole dining room strains to see what the "message" for the day is.

Here's a brief sample of his collection:

"Senior Citizen -- Give Me My Damned Discount!"

"Some people are like slinkies:  useless but fun to push down the stairs"

"Male Lesbian"

and my all-time favorite:

"Camel Tow Service -- Reasonable Rates"

Is it any wonder I love this place?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Marcellina said...

Lovely post. I'm so happy whenever I see a new blogpost from you. And glad that you have interesting companions at your new digs!

8:03 AM  
Blogger ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I used to have a great selection of Grateful Dead tie-dies. (Actually, just tie-dies...but I wore them a lot...including to Dead shows.)
~

8:43 AM  
Blogger steve simels said...

Heh. Also hah.
:-)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wot! i see no cognitive impairment here.
very funny & well written. thank you

give'm hell.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous QuentinCompson, Negatory said...

Hah! /tweetylaugh
-

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home