Thursday, June 12, 2014

Tea Is Still Being Served

(Cartoon by Lee Judge, published 6/11/14 in the Kansas City Star and featured at McClatchy DC.  Click on image to enlarge and then bring your attention back here, please.)

One of the reasons I am an avid fan of Eschaton is that Duncan Black, its host, has a pithy way of expressing his view.  Take one of yesterday's posts, for example:

Cantor will stop being Majority Leader on July 31, at which point the House can continue to carry out its important job of repeatedly voting to repeal Obamacare.

Nice, eh?

Unfortunately, Dr. Black is probably correct.  I don't expect much of change in GOP strategy (although that might be too dignified a word to use for Republican behavior) for the next two years.  Still, I don't think the Tea Party will be calling all of the shots in the House after July.  And I'm even hopeful that House Speaker Boehner will be less tolerant of the whackos, especially as the general election in November and the conventions in 2016 approach.

In my opinion (and that of a few better-credentialed pundits), the primary victories the Tea Party did get this time around can be attributed to low voter turn-out.

Yup.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home